Brief History of LBVD
The history of veterinary service in Myanmar started with the page of animal health care service in the British Armed Force in English-Myanmar second war in 1870. In the British Armed Forced, the veterinary officers and other para-veterinary workers were taking care of war horses and mules used for transport troops.
According to the report of the epidemiology surveillance mission on a pandemic cow pox outbreak happened in India and Myanmar, the British Armed Force established the veterinary services department in 1874 for providing health care services for draught cattle.
As there were high population of draught cattle and buffalo in Myanmar, the veterinary service of the British military could not provide enough control measures for giving treatment for animal diseases. Since then, the veterinary school was established in 1876 and produced Burmese Veterinary Assistances. After showing these trained Burmese Veterinary Assistances as the high level of their sector, it was happened changing the “Veterinary Assistance Training School” established at British colonial period 1867 into “Veterinary College” from the pre-independence stage time 1947 until 1975 upgraded the duration of the training course from one-year-course to two-year-course. Since “Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science” established at 24th September 1957 producing many veterinarians, “Veterinary College” was shut down after finishing the 21st batch of training course at the end of November 1975. According to the records, the Veterinary College has produced more than 1200 Veterinary Assistances and among them more than 800 served in the veterinary division.
The veterinary division was founded in 1898 and Colonel Evans from British Army was assigned as a first Director. After getting Independence of Myanmar and retiring British officials, James Baltercherjes (1948-1951), U Kyaing (1952-1953), U Saw Hla Oo (1953-1954), U Tun Hlaing, (1954-1958) U Tun Aung (1958-1962), Kyaw Zaw (1962-1963) and (1963-1975) served as Director.
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Department was established with the cooperation of the Veterinary Division and Animal Husbandry Division which is under the cooperation of arable land and rural area development with 1850 staff on 15 March 1972. In order to run all concerned processes of livestock production to commercial level, it was deviated from Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Department and it was restructured as an isolated one with the name of Animal Husbandry Cooperation which was also known as Livestock, Feedstuffs and Milk Products Enterprise (LFME)) in April 1976. This department was renamed as Livestock, Breeding and Veterinary Department (LBVD) from the day that it was discharged from the supervision of Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and it was reorganized as a unique ministry known as Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries on 15 March 1983.
In accordance with the decision of 19/2007 Cabinet meeting of the State Peace and Development Council held on 28 June 2007, Apiculture department was merged under the management of LBVD and 423 total staffs including 82 officers and 341 other ranks from Apiculture department was instilled into LBVD and that department was re-established as 3715 total staffs including 490 officers and 3225 other ranks.
LFME was abolished and its structure instilled into the LBVD as Animal Husbandry Division in agreement with 7/2014 of Cabinet meeting held on 3 April 2014. All staffs from LFME, 156 numbers of total staffs including 56 officers and 100 other ranks was added into LBVD and its structure was amended as 4103 numbers of total staffs comprising 654 officers and 3449 other ranks. According to the decision of 5/2016 Cabinet Meeting of the Union Government held on 9 June 2016, Livestock Breeding and Veterinary Department was reoriented with 978 officers, 3789 other ranks and the total number of staffs is 4767.